The Most Face Rockingest Project Blog on the Entire Fucking Web
The mobile QR code
Published: October 14, 2011
My google AD, I know most hackers and DIY'ers hate ads but it brings in around 5 bucks on a good month and I use it to subsidize my hosting fee's so you can get access to my code :)
Close up of QR

If you look closely, you can tell this has been photoshopped; because of the pixels.

Smart phones are fast becoming the predominant tool for media consumption in the restroom. However, finding or getting the right story to your smartphone can sometimes be a pain. I’ve created one possible solution. I started with the premise that everyone in the world loves QR codes with a passion. I’m pretty sure the following link to a web comic clearly illustrates my point?

What I ended up with was a dynamic, branded QR code creator that uses the google chart API, php and GD; and can be inserted into the story tools widget of a news site or blog.

The setup is pretty easy, your server will need to have php and the GD library installed. A php file will accept four query arguments that will determine what your image will look like. When called with the arguments, the php file will return image data so you can directly include it in an image tag inside a “story tools” widget, if you like.

QR Code arguments:

• URL – ‘url’ This field should be the URL that the phone will browse to once scanned, presumably the page that you’re on. If you’re in wordpress, you can use the function get_permalink(); which will return the full URL for the page that you’re on.
  • Text – ‘text’ This is an optional field and will place text below the QR Code. If you use this feature, you’ll need the file ARIAL.TTF in the same directory as the php file.
  • Logo image – ‘overlay’ This field is also optional and will overlay a logo on top of your QR code. It can be either a fully qualified URL or a relative path to an image, but it must be a png. The height and width of this image must be small enough to not cover more than 30% of the QR code. If the code won’t scan, make your image smaller.
  • Hash code – ‘hash’ This field can be used to append a ‘tracking code’ to your url using a hash tag. The hash tag will be automatically entered for you. If you use google analytics, follow this tutorial to enable hash tag tracking.

I hope this helps someone, enjoy! Alternatively, if I’ve inadvertently created a new, annoying, web fad that bugs the hell out of people, please accept my sincere apology! :)

Here’s the code for the php file, save it to a file called dynamic_qr_png.php for best results, or flibbertygibbit.php if you prefer to be obtuse.

Hey thanks for reading this far! Maybe you'll be interested in more of my projects? Check out my homepage :)
This entry was posted in Software and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. 0x13
    Posted Oct 17 at 12:22 pm | Permalink

Thanks, but I can use this how? I dont see an example on your site. I’m not versed in php at all…so I have no clue what to do with the code and dont see it used on this page either > <

• Posted Oct 17 at 1:33 pm | Permalink

Step 1: Save the code section into a file called dynamic_qr_png.php on your webserver.

Step 2: Put an html image tag on your webpage that looks like < img src=”[LOCATION OF PHP FILE HERE]?overlay=[LOCATION OF OVERLAY IMAGE HERE]&text=[CAPTION TEXT HERE]&url= [URL TO POINT IT TO HERE] ” />

Step 3: It’s a fast paced world, these days. Don’t forget to take some time out of your day for you. Take a nice bubble bath and get a massage; pamper yourself.

2. Posted Oct 20 at 8:45 am | Permalink

Here is a QR Code generator, which works directly in your browser (JavaScript):

It allows you to embed a picture, and it will verify the quality of the QR code afterwards!

3. Posted Oct 26 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

I am a big fan and user of QR codes. Glad to see another story about them. I like the leaf idea. Will there be a snowflake one for winter?

Here’s my article about QR codes being used in jewelry –

• Posted Oct 26 at 5:01 pm | Permalink

Holy shit. I’ve never seen a site with more ads than yours, sir!

Regarding your question, it’s an API of sorts that will allow you to put any image you choose.

4. Posted Jun 14 at 3:17 pm | Permalink

I am getting this error:

Warning: imagecreatefrompng() [function.imagecreatefrompng]: ‘’ is not a valid PNG file in /home/jbekcom/public_html/testing/qrkodegenerator.php on line 19

Warning: imagesx() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /home/jbekcom/public_html/testing/qrkodegenerator.php on line 21

Warning: imagesy() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /home/jbekcom/public_html/testing/qrkodegenerator.php on line 22

Warning: imagecopy() expects parameter 2 to be resource, boolean given in /home/jbekcom/public_html/testing/qrkodegenerator.php on line 23

Warning: Cannot modify header information – headers already sent by (output started at /home/jbekcom/public_html/testing/qrkodegenerator.php:19) in /home/jbekcom/public_html/testing/qrkodegenerator.php on line 44

Warning: Cannot modify header information – headers already sent by (output started at /home/jbekcom/public_html/testing/qrkodegenerator.php:19) in /home/jbekcom/public_html/testing/qrkodegenerator.php on line 45
    ‰PNG  IHDRôôD´HÝNIDATxœíÝk”Tåèá¹4Í­ADä& °ˆ¶xƒ£DsŒ™%#£.Ž1„q:#1Æd£Æ¨“!.“™ƒ Çx¼4x‰C‘ƒÄ¥€-6…ØçC-öÔô¥ºª««»êÏó,>U»v½û­®»««_ÚÕÖÖ–Kû¶-OÜw€€Ä qHÜw€€Ä qHÜw€€Ä qHÜw€€Ä qHÜw€€Ä qHÜw€€Ä qHÜw€€Ä qHÜw€€Ä qHÜw€€Ä qHÜw€€Ä qHÜw€€Ä qHÜw€€Ä qHÜw€€Ä qHÜw€€Ä qHÜw€€Ä q¨C[ ùÚµk×ÖC(UµµµÙo\¸y.Ü0rÚsNŠd6râ•Òl…{RZ3w€€Ä qHÜw€€Ä qHÜw€€Ä qHÜw€€Ä ^ò7’%½tg6Šd)Úœ†Q¸1Él”¢ðxè,€ìÌ qHÜw€€Ä qHÜw€€Ä qHÜw€€Ä qèPYò7’E²(h‘,¾ZŠËçæ4æðÃ(¯”bæÌ qHÜw€€Ä qHÜw€€Ä qHÜw€€Ä qÈ’¿4¡×S-ÅU|ïL+s搸$î‰;@@␸$î‰;@@␸$î‰;@@␸dÉ_šÓR´9)ÜŠ¸…F‘ŒšäÌ qHÜw€€Ä qHÜw€€Ä qHÜw€€Ä qÈ’¿ ÈiY×ð 7E²Š/Ífž‹™3w€€Ä qHÜw€€Ä qHÜw€€Ä qHÜw€€Ä CeÉß­.^NSW¸5sÚsáÆ\${.œ"ùs搸$î‰;@@␸$î‰;@@␸$î‰;@@␸Ԯpk´C‘,ù[ŠÃȉW"-Ë™;@@␸$î‰;@@␸$î‰;@@␸$î‰;@@âP‡¶*’ÕesÚ¸HÆLºÂ­–lÏÅÌ™;@@␸$î‰;@@␸$î‰;@@␸$î‰;@@âP»Ò]ÓÒê²ÍVŠë©îé.¥øUWŠOJ)Îsó8sHÜw€€Ä qHÜw€€Ä qHÜw€€Ä qHÜ*á%s~mÒ"Y¹ç9¼R|‹dÌ%Ggî‰;@@␸$î‰;@@␸$î‰;@@␸$î‰;@@ÚzŨpˍnэ¹×S-Å1—¢R\˜·HÖ4nÎÜw€€Ä qHÜw€€Ä qHÜw€€Ä qHÜw€€•%‹dQЭ~=Õ"YZ¹É"·ž”VæÌ qHÜw€€Ä qHÜw€€Ä qHÜw€€Ä q¨„—ü-’En‹D)Ž¹p,r›®Hm.ËA7È™;@@␸$î‰;@@␸$î‰;@@␸$î‰;@@âP /ù›“­óY¸åFKqñÕR\OµpOJ‘<ƒ9‘|‰–â ¶Ø8sHÜw€€Ä qHÜw€€Ä qHÜw€€Ä qHÜ:T–ü-œÂ-‘ZÒˍf£g#üR´E²Š¯•´óçÌ qHÜw€€Ä qHÜw€€Ä qHÜw€€Ä qÈ’¿ (Ür£¥¸RkNÂÏF‘¬.[$Ow)*’µ£[3w€€Ä qHÜw€€Ä qHÜw€€Ä qHÜw€€Ä v‡Î˜4O)®.[Š_Õ…[hºp 7æRœbãÌ qHÜw€€Ä qHÜw€€Ä qHÜw€€Ä q¨„—ü-Å¥h‹D‘ÿ¶Û^\±âsçŽ=öØ?¾òJëØ»÷’‹.ºuþüÿóå/§®¹ò²Ëf]|ñ ¿ÿ}Û¬„|üÑGçsÎÓO=•~åöšší55=zôh«QÁ¡À{îz§ºzïž=_Ÿ«ßÅ÷ßΙgŽ4(õ ¼©§öøÃ=ï¿ßä®ö}øჿøÅeÿ÷ÆŽ>@ï.]útí:|À€SO›ëØêûø£îùÉOþæ쳇uTeçÎCŽ<òôSOýñ¿ýÛ¾?Ì~'ÍžçÄË'Ïr¿ž=OûÑæó•|ÍUW%w?~ĈÍo½•ë ¬ö Š²²ÔŸÙ3g®_·îä1c’kêü™3kÖ‡|PÛˆí553¦Ooì¾ee§rÊk¯¾ÚØÝÓ‡ÑØ6ÙÜwçŽ_˜:µÁ í×?ža?wÞ~ûÑ}ûf8„Š²²É'ŸüÖ›oæ:Âij˗<¸Á=9rÍêÕ³gÎL®ipyÎsmmí«64ö,÷ìÔé{×__Ûܧ#óÔÕ9¢äÊg—/ÿ튽ÊËël¼aýú¤-›7g9퐮¸O?þ¨ÊÊä¯GUVÓ¿×öíÓ¿‚gLŸÞàîÞØ´éØaÃÒ·<}ãd›'}tԐ!u&9}ãü:ÿ™Ï~´Í‹û×]—Ü:fÔ¨··nÍ~Ú!]qOýéU^þÏ×^›œ5ìܱãÆë®Ka<¹ti}½¿{÷è‘#“»ûê«7¾öZrëúuëæÌš•ö¨ÊÊM7ÖP‹Ä½g§N© ÿûŒ3Ö­]›ºõ­7ß¼üÒKÓ·I?%LyàÞ{“ N7îÉ¥K?Ú·/¹uËæÍÿzË-éM¼õ¦›rä«6$§{Ý;tøÖ¼yÉ øµW_½ä¢‹ê<õ“ÿ×A~ñ¬³’,ºï¾ú|ïúë3'&ÿy¾böìdçÿtÍ5õïþƦMuNK[!î©?ÓÎ9gÝÚµ=pËæÍwÞ~{r€ùuþ3Ÿýh3{ƒ7¥¿¸N=úÝmÛ›1ÈFÃqÿÑw4¸õþ?N¾‡_U•~Ó;ÕÕÉë걇Îðé§'õ_¥-÷ñUUû?þ¸ÁͦsN²Yúû³«W­J®Ïü¦üä“O®8x†˜Ó7mܘ7eJcw_ùâ‹éodµNÜëÿs›’ÿQç?óُ¶Î–ÙÄýGwÜ‘\yʸqÛkj2ì²ÑÀ§eºvëö¥™3üék‡ŽǍŸº¼eóæô›?ðÀþ?.++2lØç¿ð… ?5{öa?·øšñCàl|ó;ßiìcéW^}ur9ùʲ²²¡Ã†-~üñ[æÏ¿lîÜ3¦NÍ°óaǧ.|pðsÜYJ¸Ù—_ÞØfsçÍkì¦üçù‘%KR{(++»úÚk»ûg&L˜zÖYö_ßüÎw¼>ÿ£Îæ³m®~úã_ypHãƏbùòÞ‡Þ”{æPÖ@ÜGÓ©sçÆîpd¿~© {öìI¿þ×ÏuaùSO?bDæGM~+}ÓƍY4’Ǐáߧ²²²ªÑ£S½Èf!°­[¶¼ùƯoÜøÇ Ö¬^½zÕª½ÿaK½&³÷Ç ’dجýa‡WUµjåÊú7å?Ïî¡É¥»’ïÒZDZUUÝ”ÿQç?óُ6{Ï=óÌ=wߝ|½½uëÇ¿©‚øþ{†âÞ¾}s–ŠÜ׬î/ÌyJ“ßY'ÿ€Õ?Qºç'?ùöÕWo¯©iðŽ=++'O™²eóæÕ«V5cÉ,•——gÞ²{#˝ç?ÏÉÏ šC·ìÞ h)Î*ò?êüg¾Žæ5hüI’uìÔé·+V”••=´hÑ’ü›iÓZjç²ZlÉßdñé]´·¶6û?-5€tM~o›¼¯Rç%zÝ·¾5{æ̤ì‡uèplUÕÏ;ïªk®¹{áÂÕë×oݹóÞÅ‹3kŸAR–&ÛXÎòŸç䐛C«´¡ü:ÿ™/ ’>±|ù¿ß}wçƒ#œ;gÎŽíÛ[s „Ôbqï{ð{üÆÎy[S“c¨>øMzú7×Ï?ûì­7Ý”\÷Â…Õ»výþå—>øàu7Þxþ…~ê¸ãR·æú!™Dò-ƒo¥{o×®¯Ïž“wc’w*Óä [MþGÿ̸ñã]¶¬[÷îÇŒ‘|réÝmÛ¾6gN«¨Z,î#GJ]X»fM“W¿ýöýû[ê¡ëK~fؘõëÖ¥.¤Ÿƒß1~êB—ŠŠ_=ÿüù^Xѵkƒw¯ó1Ðì}êØcSÖ­]›åëÈžO3&óC$þ³©A¶šü:ÿ™/„ÑcÆ$_csçÍK¾Ýwߣ=Ôjà ¤‹ûÄI“RÞݶmůaËÝï½7zäÈÊòò‘ƒè?~{ëÖW^~¹±[Ÿ{úéä‡r“§LI®O>#qúgdXã÷ƒ½{ÓóÉ_ÿšýÀþçÁ‡{o×® ³ôÊË/’?B¬#ÿy>uòäd /¾ðB†=<öðÃnmMùuþ3_h:v¼ó®»Úü‰×³gïÚ¹³MFB -÷ôÏD_Ÿñ—;n¹é¦½{öÔ~òÉ–Í›‡ÖR¨cþm·5vÓm7ßœºÐ¹¼ñįüm¦wª«¯lü—­ iÉïªfù‹æD½èoÿ6¹éòK/mðî=üpúêN;w쨳AK-?PQVÖຏ߿á†dƒ¯_~yúMcFª8¸´Ncë¬þð¶Ûê,ùÞ®]9 2}ÕÉïßpCý .XPç@êlÿùä_-[–,ðòæo|óë_O_Wògwß]ÿ-÷®íÛÏ»âŠ$Ó_{-}å¿‘ƒ×yñ×YGûWË–ýõÀÔM{÷ìYtß}É2Âé}ÏuU÷í55#Lî~ñ$«nÙ¼yÞWÔùÇ£óüÞ®]ÇôïŸl0cúôdÌöí[tß}õ³mó¸çÔùÏ|ö£Í¼eæÉ”·‰÷víªµ^å壆 I_ﻢ¬ì³“&=²dIòו/¾˜ë8×®YSguøA}ú¤¯8?jȐóÏ=· ó¼fõê×sOÖçª(+û_’&—¯˜=;×ìmѸ·ÈQç?ó­÷ÚÚÚ‹/¸ Ù&Ã2gA‹½çžrÂر/®YsfÚ‚SíÛ·ùÍ7Ó?Ö«wïÿX°àúï}¯e:]yyù²gž=fLYYYí’Ÿ¼S]þºÿ1iÒ «V uîÕ£gϥ˗§~æ£}ûÞ|㍝ѱgeåwo¾yÙ3ÏLž2%ùÁ× Ï=—ëðN;ö…U«ÆŸtRrÍöššwª«S¿†>rÔ¨G—-Ëü‹”ùÏóØOúÉçžK?Ø÷víÚ²ysêºTTÌ¿óÎHû@^²ìDÊÿ¨óŸùÖqëüùÉ0.XðÔ/ٶ㡵ü[

• Posted Jun 14 at 3:22 pm | Permalink

From the code:

//Important: overlay image needs to be a png

The overlay image you’re specifying is a jpeg. You need to either make it a png or modify my code, which would be super easy.

5. Chad Hults
    Posted Jul 27 at 5:20 pm | Permalink

I know nothing about code and would like to have a software that I could send a picture to a folder where it would automatically take that picture and attach a QR code. Then it would save it to another folder which would allow it to be viewed on a monitor in a grid formation that could be configured for business branding and layout so people could walk up use their QR reader and post to social media sites. Is this possible?

• Posted Jul 27 at 11:02 pm | Permalink

It’s definitely possible, but you’d need to do some coding to get it done (As far as I know, there could certainly be some software out there that already does this). Python could accomplish this pretty easily. Urllib2 and the google chart API could make the QR Codes, the imagemagick library to manipulate the images, and Tk to make the GUI interface.

6. Posted Mar 29 at 4:22 pm | Permalink

You can certainly see your expertise in the work you write.
    The arena hopes for even more passionate writers such as
    you who aren’t afraid to say how they believe. At all times
    go after your heart.

7. Posted Apr 05 at 4:49 am | Permalink

I am in fact glad to glance at this weblog posts which contains lots of
    valuable information, thanks for providing such data.

8. Posted Apr 05 at 10:44 am | Permalink

It’s genuinely very complex in this busy life to listen news
    on Television,so I only use the web for that purpose,
    and take the latest information.

9. Posted Apr 10 at 5:44 am | Permalink

Saksalainen setä intiaani parisen ympäristövaikutus panu
    taaksepäin joutsa päivystys sunnuntaiaamu enemmän tai vähemmän loppi.

10. Posted Apr 18 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

Hurrah! After all how do i prevent hair loss got a webpage from where I be capable of in fact get helpful data
    regarding my study and knowledge.

11. Posted Apr 19 at 4:11 am | Permalink

Hey would you mind letting me know which webhost you’re utilizing?
    I’ve loaded your blog in 3 different browsers and I must
    say this blog loads a lot quicker then most. Can you recommend a good internet hosting provider at a reasonable price?
    Cheers, I appreciate it!

12. Posted Apr 22 at 9:18 pm | Permalink

There is not a shred of evidence anywhere that this Krill oil is going
    to clean your arteries” of a blockage!!!!

13. Posted Apr 25 at 10:07 am | Permalink

What’s up colleagues, pleasant paragraph and good urging commented here,
    I am really enjoying by these.

14. Posted May 04 at 6:53 pm | Permalink

This is an fleet insurance important aspect of your cheap fleet insurance and
    all the employees have a clean history with no record of claims are given generous discounts on such
    insurance. This fleet insurance type of insurance can be a very difficult task.
    Ideally you will want to really think about who will
    drive your vehicles as well as the cost for each vehicle.

15. Posted May 21 at 9:44 am | Permalink

how was diabetes treated before insulin what are the
    most common treatments for diabetes best food
    for diabetics to gain weight free information on diabetes by mail food bad diabetes diabetes definition ada
    2013 symptoms of diabetes dry eyes

16. Posted May 24 at 2:24 pm | Permalink

I was recommended this web site via my cousin. I am
    not positive whether this post is written by him
    as no one else recognize such specified approximately my difficulty.
    You are incredible! Thank you!

17. Posted Jun 03 at 5:57 pm | Permalink

Appreciation to my father who told me concerning this web site, this
    website is actually amazing.

18. Posted Aug 01 at 8:30 pm | Permalink

hi!,I love your writing so so much! proportion we
    keep in touch extra about your post on AOL? I need an expert in this space to solve my problem.

Maybe that is you! Having a look ahead to look you.

7 Trackbacks

1. […] thinks they’re pretty great, Hackaday reader [falldeaf] thought it would be cool to put together an automatic QR code generator to be used on web […]

2. […] thinks they’re pretty great, Hackaday reader [falldeaf] thought it would be cool to put together an automatic QR code generator to be used on web […]

3. […] thinks they’re pretty great, Hackaday reader [falldeaf] thought it would be cool to put together an automatic QR code generator to be used on web […]

4. […] thinks they’re pretty great, Hackaday reader [falldeaf] thought it would be cool to put together an automatic QR code generator to be used on web […]

5. […] thinks they’re pretty great, Hackaday reader [falldeaf] thought it would be cool to put together an automatic QR code generator to be used on web […]

6. […] thinks they’re pretty great, Hackaday reader [falldeaf] thought it would be cool to put together an automatic QR code generator to be used on web […]

7. […] Smart Phones now are the need of everyone. They are fast, accurate and easy to use. But sometimes it is hard to a find a right review or information for smartphones that fulfills one’s need. This article shows an easy way to get the QR codes for your smartphone. […]